Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

September challenge wrap up.

I have been pretty quiet about our September grocery challenge. My budget for September was $515 (regular 500, plus $5 from Keith and $10 cash we had lying around that we threw in) We spent $185 on groceries which means we get to donate $330 which is AWESOME and very exciting.

I must admit that this challenge really threw me for a loop - I did not expect for my heart to be so heavy for the hungry, but trying to decide where to donate the money has been extremely difficult for me. There is so much poverty and so much need that I have been overwhelmed.

I am challenged - we have so much cushion in our budget - our cupboards are quite a bit more bare - but there is still food in them. Our freezer is has less meat, but still plenty for probably another month or more. Honestly - I am ashamed of our extravagance. At one point, one of the kids asked what was for dinner and when I replied that it was leftovers from the previous day, one groaned. Because we prefer not to eat the same meal twice in a row. We've been so blessed, and instead of feeling gratitude, were tempted to feel spoiled and entitled.

Before this post becomes depressing, there is so much to celebrate!

I was incredibly blessed last month as over and over and over we were given gifts of food and meals - we received, apples, applesauce, apple jelly, strawberry jam, muffins, cucumbers, tomatoes, hot peppers, juice, a fantastic lunch at church, brunch with friends and at least 2 or 3 meals at Keith's parents place. There's probably more that I've forgotten to mention. So, thank you to all who shared and gave because we wouldn't have $330 to give without you!

I've decided to donate money both locally and internationally. I know I want to donate to Winnipeg Harvest because it's local and it's a great program set up to really help hungry families. I plan to give the rest to an international organization - but I am still struggling with this decision - There are so many people, literally starving and I just do not know the best place to send this money. I am off to do some research and I will update this post with my decision.

I will definitely do this challenge again. I can't wait to do this challenge again actually.

3 comments:

Jobina 1:54 PM  

Wow, I just spent almost that much on groceries today, unbelievable! What a wonderful challenge to do!

Stacey 11:45 AM  

Amazing! I think my grocery budget is pretty tough to stick within ($75/week for a family of 4) but I also don't have anything stockpiled at all, other than home canning like pizza sauce, salsa, etc.

I think I might have to do the buy nothing challenge sometime though!

Amy 7:04 AM  

WAY TO GO!!! LOVE your heart and so inspired!!!

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am mom to 3 kids and in process to adopt another from Ethiopia. I run a home daycare for teacher's kids and enjoy taking pictures. I love God and I love my family! :)

Swidget 1.0

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP