Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Monday, August 24, 2009

Buy Nothing update

Buy Nothing Challenge - August 2009

All right, I am overdue for an update on August's buy nothing challenge.
update: Here are the rules straight from Crunchy herself:
* No new clothes
* No new gadgets
* No new furniture or housewares
* No salon services
* No makeup
* No tools
* No whatever else people buy
Things that are okay
Necessary items like schools supplies and the like are okay, so don't panic about back-to-school items. Also, items used for canning and food storage are okay so don't worry if you are running low on pectin, mason jars and whatnot. If you have a vacation planned in August, just confess ahead of time accordingly. But that doesn't give you free reign to totally undo your efforts the rest of the month.

I did spend in the last two weeks. We were at Hecla Aug 16- 20 so no extra spending that week - lots of relaxing, rain, library books and near death experiences (specifically for William).
I did take Dora shopping for school clothes and spent $24.10 on 2 pairs of pants, one fleece jacket and 2 belts. I also bought William 3 shirts and one pair of shorts (for next summer) for $10.
We took the family out for DQ on Saturday (we always have an ice cream treat while up at Hecla, but didn't make it to the store this time so this is a vacation splurge.) $17 I think?
And, two birthday gifts $35 total.
So: aprox $86
Yikes - that's a lot! The only real splurge here was the ice cream - it would have been much cheaper to buy a box of ice cream sandwiches or drumsticks and have the treat at home, but it was fun to surprise the kids with DQ.

We are in the homestretch of August's buy nothing challenge - I don't anticipate many purchases this week - possibly markers for school but that's about it I hope. This has been a fun challenge and one I will do again.

4 comments:

darci 8:56 AM  

wow, that's impressive..so do you have a post that explains exactly how this works? ie. buy only food, or what? good for you-
so what was the near death experience? glad everyone is ok!

Leanne 9:09 AM  

Hi Darci! I should link back to the original post which explains all the guidelines - you caught me being lazy! :)
Basic premise is that you buy only what you need - so food, school supplies etc are all ok - you get to decide what is over and above - for us, the ice cream was a splurge and so were the clothes - though we needed them, I probably could have gotten away with one pair of pants for Dora, not 2 and she didn't really need the fleece sweater. Also, I didn't have to get the next year's summer outfit for William but the $3 price tag was hard to pass up!

The near death experience for Will was falling headfirst through the handrail on the steps down to the lake. I am so thankful that there was a small rock ledge that caught him and slowed his fall (5 foot drop onto rock)before I grabbed his leg and hauled him back up. He is none the worse for wear but this mama might have sprung a few more grey hairs!
Lakes and cliffs are not on my recommended list of relaxing places to stay with your 2 year old. :) I truly believe it was the hand of God on him that prevented a much worse outcome.

Anonymous 12:53 PM  

Hi Lee

I just saw your blog address on the CAFAC board and thought I'd pop over and say hi. We've been home since April 16 with our daughter, Eden from Ethiopia.

We have a blog too:

Our new one (I just moved) is:

http://turgeonexpansion.wordpress.com

And our old one (all about waiting and our referral and travel) is:

http://rkturgeon.blogspot.com

Cheers,
Rhonda

Leanne 2:48 PM  

Hi Rhonda! Welcome :)
I do follow your blog - Miss Eden is so sweet! Hope to one day meet you and your family!
L.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am mom to 3 kids and in process to adopt another from Ethiopia. I run a home daycare for teacher's kids and enjoy taking pictures. I love God and I love my family! :)

Swidget 1.0

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP